Early Childhood Screening
Preschoolers between the ages of 3 and 4 years old who live in District 196 need to participate in a screening before entering kindergarten.
Appointments can be scheduled online, via email or by calling 651-423-7899. Visit us at the Early Childhood offices, which are located at: District 196 Service Center - 14301 Diamond Path, Apple Valley, MN 55124.
Once an appointment is scheduled, print and complete the following documents and bring them to your child's appointment:
- When should the screening be done?
- What does the screening include?
- Why should my child be screened?
- Where does the screening take place?
- Who does the screening?
- Vision and hearing check
- Growth evaluation
- Immunization review
- Developmental screening using a Minnesota state approved standardized tool
- Family health and development review
- Information and resources for your child
It does not include recommendations on whether your child is ready for kindergarten. Kindergarten entrance is based on the state age criteria of 5 years of age on or before September 1 and a parent’s decision.
District 196 screening is offered free to district residents. Screening takes place at the District Service Center located at 14301 Diamond Path in Apple Valley, Minnesota. Minnesota screening requirements may also take place through another school district, a physician’s office, the Head Start program or the Minnesota Department of Public Health.
The screening can be done by:
- A licensed teacher and a registered nurse;
- Your family physician, if a state approved developmental tool is used. (Check with your doctor’s office to see if their screening meets the state’s requirements), or
- Children who attend Head Start or Early Childhood Special Education programs may not need to be screened.