Early Childhood Family Education | ECFE
A program for parents and their children during the years from birth through pre-kindergarten.
Our mission is to provide quality learning opportunities and resources for all young families in our district. ECFE is a fun, informal place to meet, learn and play with other parents and young children. We offer a wide variety of classes, one-time events, a family literacy program and several special opportunities.
Contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone for registration and class information.
- State of MN ECFE Overview
- Meet Our Teachers
- Family School
- Parenting Resources
- Parent Aware
Play With Me!
Parents, come and play with your children. No preregistration needed!
Family Playtimes: Birth Through Kindergarten
Pop in to play with your little ones and our ECFE staff. Dress up for dramatic play. Explore the wonders of math, science and senses while you squish, squeeze and create with play dough. Dump, pour, mash and mix in the sensory table. Become a little artist at the easel. Run, jump, climb and learn through movement in our gym. Expand language skills at story and circle time. No preregistration needed. The fee is only $5 per child and punch cards for discounted fees are available for purchase. No charge for babies through 12 months.
Fri | Sep 6-Dec 20 | 1:00-3:30 p.m. | $5 per child | DVLC Room 116 | skip Oct 11, 18; Nov 8, 29
Sat | Sep 21-Dec 14 | 9:00-11:30 a.m. | $5 per child | DVLC Room 116 | skip Oct 19; Nov 9, 30
Playtimes With Babies: Birth Through 12 Months
This is a time for babies and parents to play in our infant environment. Come and explore new toys, sing songs or enjoy other fun activities led by an ECFE teacher. There will also be time to meet other parents and their babies! No preregistration needed. Baby playtime is free of charge. Participation is limited to this age group only.
Wed | Sep 4-Dec 18 | 1:30-3:15 p.m. | FREE | DVLC Room 216 | skip Nov 27
Parents learn with your child!
Parents ... attend Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes and learn parenting skills while your child attends preschool in Family School! Parents and their preschool children can attend school together Monday through Thursday mornings at District 196 learning centers in Apple Valley. Families must be District 196 residents, have preschool children and a goal in Adult Basic Education as an English learner (EL) or GED student.
In Family School
- Parents attend ABE classes and learn parenting skills
- Children attend preschool and get ready for kindergarten
District 196 Information
Early Childhood Screening - 14301 Diamond Path, Apple Valley, MN 55124. Call 651-423-7899.
Early Childhood Special Education - For information on evaluations and early intervention. Call 952-388-1900.
Kindergarten - Information for incoming kindergarten families.
New Baby - Do you have a new baby? Are you new to town? If so, please contact Student Information Services at 651-423-7640 with your family’s updated information so you receive important program information and updates.
- Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University
- Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning at Vanderbilt University
- Common Sense Media
- Conscious Discipline
- The Ellyn Satter Institute - Models for Feeding Dynamics and Eating Competence
- Healthy Children (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Help Me Grow Minnesota
- Kids in the House
- Mary Sheedy Kurcinka, Ed.D.
- Mom Enough
- Pacer Center - Champions for Children with Disabilities
- ParentAware - Tools and information to find quality childcare and early education
- Parenting Counts
- PBS Parent Resources
- Positive Discipline
- Simplicity Parenting
- Zero to Three
- Parent Aware is the State of Minnesota's Early Childhood Quality Program Indicator. Star ratings help families identify programs using the practices that best prepare a child for kindergarten.
- Learn more at www.parentaware.org