A preschool option for District 196 resident 3- and 4-year-olds is available at 13 school sites across District 196.
Young children are eager to learn and play. Connections Preschool gives children an opportunity to interact with other children in fun, engaging activities while learning important skills. The curriculum supports young children in developing skills in the following areas: creativity and the arts, language and literacy, mathematical and scientific thinking, physical and motor, and social and emotional. Children in Connections Preschool assume increasing personal responsibility and independence as they grow and develop.
The application for the 2020-2021 school year will be available in early February. The link below is for the current school year only.
- Program Beliefs
- Meet Our Teachers
- 2019-20 Connections Preschool Calendars
- Parenting Resources
- Parent Aware 4-Star Rating
- Early childhood is a remarkable time of psychological, physical, social and academic development.
- Learning is a social process where children grow through play, exploration and inquiry.
- Families are a child's first and most influential teachers.
- Each child has unique strengths.
- Children thrive in a safe environment where their needs are met through mutual respect, nurturing and consistency.
- Strong family, school and community partnerships help ensure a child's success in school.
District 196 Information
Early Childhood Screening - 14301 Diamond Path, Apple Valley, MN 55124. Call 651-423-7899.
Early Childhood Special Education - For information on evaluations and early intervention. Call 952-388-1900.
Kindergarten - Information for incoming kindergarten families.
New Baby - Do you have a new baby? Are you new to town? If so, please contact Student Information Services at 651-423-7640 with your family’s updated information so you receive important program information and updates.
- Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University
- Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning at Vanderbilt University
- Common Sense Media
- Conscious Discipline
- The Ellyn Satter Institute - Models for Feeding Dynamics and Eating Competence
- Healthy Children (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Help Me Grow Minnesota
- Kids in the House
- Mary Sheedy Kurcinka, Ed.D.
- Mom Enough
- Pacer Center - Champions for Children with Disabilities
- ParentAware - Tools and information to find quality childcare and early education
- Parenting Counts
- PBS Parent Resources
- Positive Discipline
- Simplicity Parenting
- Zero to Three
- Connections Preschool is a 4-Star Parent Aware Rated Preschool based on demonstrated use of practices that best prepare children for kindergarten.
- Parent Aware is the State of Minnesota's Early Childhood Quality Program Indicator. Star ratings help families identify programs using the practices that best prepare a child for kindergarten.
- Learn more at www.parentaware.org